The war in Iraq has been on the news for many years. After so many years, people still discuss about it in the public forum and other places. In these discussions, people try to find out the consequences of the war and whether it was justified or not. Here are the things you should know about the war in Iraq.
- The war was a man-made disaster. There was false information regarding the reasons behind the war. Iraq was considered a threat to the U.S. After the 9/11 attack, US President George Bush declared that Iraq government was supporting the Al-Queda and Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. Both the claims were unproven after the war.
- One of the goals of the war was to make Iraq an independent country. But the Bush administration wanted to privatize the Iraqi economy. They wanted to control the oil companies. Oil in Iraq was nationalized in the early 1970s. The US government wanted to sell the oil rights to the American companies.
- The US government wanted the newly formed Iraqi government to sign a long-term lease for the American military base situated in Iraq. This would ensure American military dominance in the country. However, this was not done.
- There has been a huge refugee crisis. About 10% of the population became refugees. Most of them now live in San Diego County. About a million people died in Iraq during the war. The infrastructure of the country was destroyed.
- Health of the Iraqi people is a concern. Most of them are experiencing post-traumatic disorder and psychological trauma. Though the US government sent $31 million aid to the health ministry in Iraq in 2012, the amount is not enough.
- The cost of the war was too high. The seven-year war cost more than a trillion dollars. The US government borrowed this money. This money could be used in good causes like roads, education, social security, etc.
- This children of Iraq are suffering due to lack of education, food, and healthcare. These children must be given proper support. They should be given the right education so that they can take the right decisions in their lives.
The Americans now want to forget about the Iraq war. However, there are reasons to remember it. Lots of lives were lost and it was not worth it. They should remember it so that they don’t’ make such mistake in future again.